Opportunities - Selection Processes
Directors, VIA Rail Canada Inc.,
We know that our country is stronger — and our government more effective — when decision-makers reflect Canada's diversity. Moving forward, the Government of Canada will use an appointment process that is transparent and merit-based, strives for gender parity, and ensures that Indigenous Canadians and minority groups are properly represented in positions of leadership. We will continue to search for Canadians who reflect the values that we all embrace: inclusion, honesty, fiscal prudence, and generosity of spirit. Together, we will build a government as diverse as Canada.
The overarching goal for the Minister of Transport is to ensure that Canada's transportation system supports our ambitious economic growth and job creation agenda.
The Government of Canada is currently seeking applications from diverse and talented Canadians from across the country who are interested in the following positions:
Director (part-time positions)
VIA Rail Canada Inc.
VIA Rail Canada Inc. (VIA Rail) is a Crown corporation headquartered in Montréal, Quebec. VIA Rail operates Canada's national passenger rail service on behalf of the Government of Canada. Established in 1977, VIA Rail provides a safe, cost-effective and environmentally responsible service from coast to coast in both official languages. The Corporation operates close to 475 trains weekly on 12,500 kilometres of track, connecting over 400 Canadian communities. The Corporation reports to Parliament through the Minister of Transport.
The Board of Directors of VIA Rail is responsible for the governance and oversight of VIA Rail's activities, business performance and strategic policy direction. It ensures internal controls are in place to manage risks and ensure the accuracy of the organization's finances and reports.
Further details about the organization and its activities can be found on the VIA Rail Canada Inc. website.
Candidates must apply online by 11:59 p.m. Eastern Time on February 8, 2017, via the Governor in Council Appointments website. Your cover letter should be addressed to the Assistant Secretary to the Cabinet (Senior Personnel), Privy Council Office, and should be sent only through the on-line application.
Per Diem: $410 - $485
Annual Retainer: $5,300 - $6,200
Official Languages and Diversity
The Government of Canada will consider bilingual proficiency and diversity in assessing candidates for these positions. You are therefore encouraged to include in your online profile your ability to speak and understand your second official language. Preference may be given to candidates who are members of one or more of the following groups: women, Indigenous Canadians, persons with disabilities, and members of visible minorities.
To be considered for one of these positions, please provide examples from your career that clearly demonstrate how you meet the following requirements in your application:
Education and Experience
- A degree from a recognized university in a relevant field of study, or an acceptable combination of equivalent education, job-related training or experience;
- A professional accounting designation (CPA) would be considered an asset;
- Experience serving as a member of a board of directors for a complex commercial public or private sector organization or as a senior executive of a complex commercial public or private sector organization answerable to stakeholders in said sectors;
- Experience in dealing with senior representatives of government or the private sector;
- Experience in the transportation sector or business community (preferably rail); and
- Experience in one or more of the following areas: safety and security management; public relations; law; accounting; finance; information technology; communications; community relations; or stakeholder engagement.
If you are selected for an interview, the following criteria will be assessed:
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Knowledge of VIA Rail's mandate, mission, strategic priorities, and business activities and the transportation industry, preferably related to the rail sector;
- Knowledge of the role and responsibilities of a board member, including fundamental accountabilities to the Government of Canada as shareholder;
- Knowledge of the public policy environment facing a Crown corporation, and a general understanding of the legislative environment in which it operates, including the Financial Administration Act;
- Knowledge of human resources and financial management, strategic corporate planning, monitoring, and evaluation of corporate performance;
- Knowledge of corporate governance including good governance principles and best practices;
- Knowledge of one or more of the following areas: accounting; finance; business administration; commerce or economics; railway engineering; law; marketing; communications; public relations; large public construction project acquisition; infrastructure procurement and project management; safety and security management; cybersecurity and large pension fund management and administration;
- Financial literacy;
- Ability to identify, analyse and define priorities and strategies;
- Ability to anticipate emerging issues;
- Ability to develop and maintain effective working relationships with other board members and the board's partners and stakeholders; and
- Superior communication skills, both oral and written, and the ability to manage communications with a variety of stakeholders.
Proficiency in both official languages would be preferred.
If you move on to the next stage of the selection process, we will contact your references to verify how you have demonstrated the Experience requirements and the following Personal Attributes in your current and recently held positions:
- Sound judgment
- High ethical standards and integrity
- Superior interpersonal skills
- Tact and diplomacy
- Strategic thinker
Eligibility Factors and Conditions of Employment
In your application it will be important that you confirm you meet the following requirements:
- No officer or employee of Via Rail Inc. or any of its affiliates, other than the chief executive, shall be a director of Via Rail Inc. (statutory).
- Directors must be available for four quarterly scheduled Board meetings plus additional meetings as required.
If you are appointed to one of these positions:
You must comply with the Ethical and Political Activity Guidelines for Public Office Holders throughout your appointment, as a term and condition of employment. The guidelines are available on the Governor in Council Appointments Web site, under Forms and reference material.
You will be subject to the Conflict of Interest Act. For more information please visit the Office of the Office of the Conflict of Interest and Ethics Commissioner's website.
A link to this notice will be placed in the Canada Gazette to assist the Governor in Council in identifying qualified candidates for these positions. It is not, however, intended to be the sole means of recruitment.
A roster of qualified candidates may be established and may be used for similar opportunities.
- Date modified: