Opportunities - Selection Processes
Governor, International Development Research Centre,
We know that Canada is stronger – and our government more effective – when decision-makers reflect Canada’s diversity. Moving forward, the Government of Canada will use an appointment process that is transparent and merit-based, strives for gender parity, and ensures that Indigenous Canadians and minority groups, amongst others, are properly represented in positions of leadership. We will continue to search for individuals who reflect the values that we all embrace: inclusion, honesty, fiscal prudence, and generosity of spirit. Together, we will build a government as diverse as Canada.
The overarching goal of the Minister of International Development and La Francophonie is to foster sustainable international development and poverty reduction in developing countries.
The Government of Canada is currently seeking applications from diverse and talented individuals, Canadian and international, who are interested in the position of:
Governor (part-time position)
International Development Research Centre
The International Development Research Centre is one of the world’s leading institutions in the generation and application of new knowledge to meet the challenges facing developing countries. The International Development Research Centre funds applied research by researchers from developing countries on the problems they identify as crucial to their communities. The International Development Research Centre’s core mission supports Canada’s policy goals and strengthens Canadian research and development support for international development. It also provides technical support to those researchers.
The International Development Research Centre is a Crown corporation, governed by a Board of Governors composed of up to 14 members, including the Chairperson and President and governors who are both Canadians and non-Canadians. The Centre is accountable to the Parliament of Canada, reporting through the Minister of International Development and La Francophonie.
The International Development Research Centre is headquartered in Ottawa, Canada and maintains four regional offices internationally, covering programming in Asia, Latin America and the Caribbean, the Middle East and North Africa, and Sub-Saharan Africa.
A governor on the International Development Research Centre Board of Governors assists in establishing the strategic direction of the International Development Research Centre, reviews and approves budgets, annual reports, business plans and financial statements, and tracks corporate performance against strategic and business plans. A governor ensures that systems are in place to provide guidance on risks associated with International Development Research Centre business and ensures the integrity of the International Development Research Centre internal controls and management information systems. He or she also monitors the performance of the President and Chief Executive Officer as well as assessing the Board of Governor’s own performance in fulfilling its responsibilities.
Further details about the organization and its activities can be found on the International Development Research Centre's website.
Candidates must apply online by 11:59 p.m. Eastern Time on December 15, 2017, via the Governor in Council Appointments website. Your cover letter should be addressed to the Assistant Secretary to the Cabinet (Senior Personnel), Privy Council Office, and should be sent only through the on-line application.
Per Diem: $360 - $420
Annual Retainer: $4,600 - $5,400 for the Governors, other than the President and the Chairperson, serving as Chairperson of the Finance and Audit Committee or as Chairperson of the Human Resources Committee.
Canada's Official Languages and Diversity
The Government of Canada will consider bilingual proficiency and diversity in assessing candidates for this position. You are therefore encouraged to include in your online profile your ability to speak and understand English and French. Preference may be given to candidates who are members of one or more of the following groups: women, Indigenous Canadians, persons with disabilities, and members of visible minorities.
To be considered for this position, please provide examples from your career that clearly demonstrate how you meet the following requirements in your application:
Education and Experience
- A graduate degree from a recognized university in a relevant field of study or an acceptable combination of education, job-related training, and/or experience;
- A professional financial designation would be considered an asset;
- Experience in the field of international development, or experience or training in the natural or social sciences or technology;
- Experience serving as a member of a board of governors or a board of directors;
- Experience in public policy and/or research and innovation related to global development challenges;
- Experience living and working in a developing country, including the maintenance of a network of work and community contacts would be considered an asset;
- Experience in research and innovation for development would be considered an asset; and
- Experience in working with or for the private sector in the context of delivering innovative solutions at scale on development challenges.
If you are selected for an interview, the following criteria will be assessed:
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Knowledge of international development and sustainable development issues broadly and/or development issues specifically related to climate change, water, migration, and/or information technologies, and innovation;
- Knowledge of the mandate and activities of the International Development Research Centre;
- Knowledge of the roles and responsibilities of the Board of Governors;
- Knowledge of corporate governance best practices;
- Knowledge of international development and foreign and development policy and/or policy formulation.
- Financial literacy would be considered an asset;
- Ability to set strategic direction and priorities and to evaluate progress towards objectives;
- Ability to develop and maintain effective working relationships with other governors, senior management, International Development Research Centre's partners, and stakeholders, and actively participate in debate and discussions amongst board governors;
- Ability to recognize and address emerging issues, to seize opportunities, and to advance innovative ideas; and
- Superior communication skills.
Proficiency in both official languages would be preferred
If you move on to the next stage of the selection process, we will contact your references to verify how you have demonstrated the Experience requirements and the following Personal Attributes in your current and recently held positions:
- Leadership and sound judgment
- High ethical standards and integrity
- Tact and diplomacy
Eligibility Factors and Conditions of Employment
In your application, it will be important that you confirm you meet the following requirements:
- The successful candidate may be a Canadian citizen or may be a citizen of another country who has the right to travel to Canada.
- The successful candidate must be willing to participate in Board and committee meetings in Canada, which occur at least three times per year.
- You are willing and able to travel to and within Canada and internationally, as required.
If you are appointed to this position:
You must comply with the Ethical and Political Activity Guidelines for Public Office Holders throughout your appointment, as a term and condition of employment. The guidelines are available on the Governor in Council Appointments website, under Forms and reference material.
You will be subject to the Conflict of Interest Act. For more information, please visit the Office of the Conflict of Interest and Ethics Commissioner’s website.
A link to this notice will be placed in the Canada Gazette to assist the Governor in Council in identifying qualified candidates for this position. It is not, however, intended to be the sole means of recruitment.
A roster of qualified candidates may be established and may be used for similar opportunities.Apply Online
- Date modified: