Opportunities - Selection Processes
Directors, Invest in Canada Hub,
We know that our country is stronger — and our government more effective — when decision-makers reflect Canada’s diversity. The Government of Canada will use an appointment process that is transparent and merit-based, strives for gender parity, and ensures that Indigenous peoples and minority groups are properly represented in positions of leadership. We will continue to search for Canadians who reflect the values that we all embrace: inclusion, honesty, fiscal prudence, and generosity of spirit. Together, we will build a government as diverse as Canada.
The overarching goal of the Minister of International Trade is to increase Canada’s trade and attract job-creating investment to Canada, focusing on expanding trade with large fast-growing markets, including China and India, and deepening our trade links with traditional partners.
The Government of Canada is currently seeking applications from diverse and talented Canadians from across the country who are interested in the positions of:
Directors (part-time positions)
Invest in Canada Hub
In order to enhance Canada’s capacity to compete on the international stage and to increase its share of foreign direct investment, the Government of Canada is establishing the Invest in Canada Hub (Hub) designed to strategically attract significant international companies that will contribute to existing and new Canadian clusters of innovation and excellence across a broad range of economic sectors. The Hub will develop a cohesive foreign direct investment strategy to align with the country’s overall economic growth strategy, promote Canada as a premier investment destination, establish a single-window investor support framework and deliver world-class investment aftercare, retention and reinvestment services. The Hub will provide a seamless concierge service between all levels of government to make Canada a top of mind destination for potential global investors, which will create good paying jobs and grow the middle class. Increased foreign investment into Canada connects Canadian industries to global value chains. It facilitates the transfer of knowledge and technology, increases our competitiveness, stimulates innovation, and promotes the prosperity of Canadians.
Upon formal creation of the Hub in 2017, a Board of Directors consisting of not more than 11 directors including a Chairperson and a Vice-Chairperson will be established for this new Departmental Corporation. These are exciting opportunities for individuals who want to make an impact on Canada’s ability to attract foreign direct investment from around the world that enhances innovation and creates high-paying jobs for Canadians.
The Board plays an advisory role in ensuring that the Hub develops and implements its own general administrative policy (contracting, communications, travel, hospitality, etc.), human resources management and financial policies in line with public policy objectives, and that they are met in the most effective manner. The Board is responsible for reviewing and approving the Hub’s annual business plan, annual report on results, and monitoring the Hub’s performance in achieving its results. The Board also monitors the performance and effectiveness of the Chief Executive Officer and senior management and assesses its own effectiveness in fulfilling its responsibilities.
Further details about the organization and its activities can be found on the Global Affairs Canada website.
Candidates must apply online by 11:59 p.m. Eastern Time on November 29, 2017, via the Governor in Council Appointments website. Your cover letter should be addressed to the Assistant Secretary to the Cabinet (Senior Personnel), Privy Council Office, and should be sent only through the on-line application.
Official Languages and Diversity
The Government of Canada will consider bilingual proficiency and diversity in assessing candidates for this position. You are therefore encouraged to include in your online profile your ability to speak and understand your second official language. Preference may be given to candidates who are members of one or more of the following groups: women, Indigenous peoples, persons with disabilities, and members of visible minorities.
To be considered for this position, please provide examples from your career that clearly demonstrate how you meet the following requirements in your application:
Education and Experience
- A degree from a recognized university in a relevant field of study or an acceptable combination of education, job-related training, and/or experience;
- Experience serving as a member of a board of directors of an international business and/or private sector organization, a financial institution or a government/Crown Corporation;
- Experience in governance principles and best practices in a culture of accountability and transparency;
- Experience in the field of foreign direct investment and / or international trade would be considered an asset;
- Experience dealing with different levels of government, preferably with senior officials and Ministers;
- Experience in managing financial and human resources; and
- A professional financial designation would be considered an asset.
If you are selected for an interview, the following criteria will be assessed:
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Knowledge of the mandate and activities related to the attraction of foreign direct investment;
- Knowledge of corporate planning, monitoring and the evaluation of corporate performance;
- Knowledge of the roles and responsibilities of the Chairperson, Vice-Chairperson, the Board of Directors, the Chief Executive Officer and corporate governance principles and best practices including fundamental accountabilities to the Government of Canada as Shareholder;
- Knowledge of government and public policy;
- Knowledge of international affairs, the international trade and investment environment and a general understanding of the legislative environment in which it operates and the global economy;
- Knowledge and experience in sound financial and risk management of an enterprise and corporate social responsibility;
- Knowledge and experience in large national and trans-national corporations to small and medium sized businesses and of Canada’s diverse industry sectors;
- Knowledge of best practices with regard to accountability and reporting for Departmental Corporations would be an asset;
- Ability to set priorities and support the corporate vision needed to fulfil the Hub’s mandate and attain its objectives; and
- Ability to understand the impact of the differing needs and agenda of multiple stakeholders.
Proficiency in both official languages would be preferred.
If you move on to the next stage of the selection process, we will contact your references to verify how you have demonstrated the Experience requirements and the following Personal Attributes in your current and recently held positions:
- Informed Judgment
- Integrity and Accountability
- Impact and Influence
- Sound management
- Trust and commitment
Eligibility Factors and Conditions of Employment
In your application, it will be important that you confirm you meet the following requirements:
- The successful candidate must be willing to participate in Board and Committee meetings with up to four meetings held per year in various Canadian cities. Additional Board meetings may be held for strategic planning purposes or in special circumstances, as may be necessary from time to time.
If you are appointed to one of these positions:
You must comply with the Ethical and Political Activity Guidelines for Public Office Holders throughout your appointment as a term and condition of employment. The guidelines are available on the Governor in Council Appointments website, under Forms and reference material.
You will be subject to the Conflict of Interest Act. For more information, please visit the Office of the Conflict of Interest and Ethics Commissioner’s website.
A link to this notice will be placed in the Canada Gazette to assist the Governor in Council in identifying qualified candidates for these positions. It is not, however, intended to be the sole means of recruitment.
A roster of qualified candidates may be established and may be used for similar opportunities.Apply Online
- Date modified: