Opportunities - Selection Processes
Directors, Canadian Air Transport Security Authority,
We know that our country is stronger — and our government more effective — when decision-makers reflect Canada's diversity. Moving forward, the Government of Canada will use an appointment process that is transparent and merit-based, strives for gender parity, and ensures that Indigenous Canadians and minority groups are properly represented in positions of leadership. We will continue to search for Canadians who reflect the values that we all embrace: inclusion, honesty, fiscal prudence, and generosity of spirit. Together, we will build a government as diverse as Canada.
The overarching goal for the Minister of Transport is to ensure that Canada’s transportation system supports our ambitious economic growth and job creation agenda.
The Government of Canada is currently seeking applications from diverse and talented Canadians from across the country who are interested in the following positions:
Directors (part-time positions)
Canadian Air Transport Security Authority
The Canadian Air Transport Security Authority is a Crown corporation headquartered in Ottawa, Ontario.
The Canadian Air Transport Security Authority is an agent Crown corporation funded by parliamentary appropriations and accountable to the Parliament of Canada through the Minister of Transport. The Authority is governed by an eleven-member Board of Directors, appointed by the Governor in Council, including representatives of the airline industry and airport operators. The Canadian Air Transport Security Authority’s mandate consists of four areas of aviation security:
- Pre-Board Screening: the screening of passengers and their belongings prior to their entry into the secure area of an air terminal building;
- Hold Baggage Screening: the screening of passengers’ checked (or hold) baggage to prevent the boarding of prohibited items;
- Non-Passenger Screening: the random screening of non-passengers accessing restricted areas at the highest-risk airports; and
- Restricted Access Identity Card: the program uses iris and fingerprint biometric identifiers to allow non-passengers access to the restricted areas of airports.
The Board of Directors of the Authority is responsible for the overall stewardship of the Authority. The key roles and responsibilities of the Board include strategic direction and public policy; financial oversight; and, corporate oversight.
Further details about the organization and its activities can be found on the Canadian Air Transport Security Authority's website.
Candidates must apply online by 11:59 p.m. Eastern Time on May 8, 2017, via the Governor in Council Appointments website.Your cover letter should be addressed to the Assistant Secretary to the Cabinet (Senior Personnel), Privy Council Office, and should be sent only through the on-line application.
Per Diem: $360 - $420
Annual Retainer: $4,600 - $5,400
Official Languages and Diversity
The Government of Canada will consider bilingual proficiency and diversity in assessing candidates for these positions. You are therefore encouraged to include in your online profile your ability to speak and understand your second official language. Preference may be given to candidates who are members of one or more of the following groups: women, Indigenous Canadians, persons with disabilities, and members of visible minorities.
To be considered for one of these positions, please provide examples from your career that clearly demonstrate how you meet the following requirements in your application:
Education and Experience
- A degree from a recognized university in a relevant field of study, or an acceptable combination of equivalent education, job-related training or experience;
- A professional accounting designation (CPA) would be considered an asset;
- Experience serving as a member of a board of directors for a public or private sector organization or as a senior executive answerable to stakeholders in the public or private sector;
- Experience in dealing with representatives of government or the private sector, preferably at senior levels;
- Experience in the transportation sector or in the business or administration sector; and
- Experience in one or more of the following areas: aviation industry, security and intelligence, information technology policy, enhancing customer experience, and major project management would be considered as an asset.
If you are selected for an interview, the following criteria will be assessed:
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Knowledge of the Canadian Air Transport Security Authority’s mandate, mission, strategic priorities, and business activities including the Canadian aviation transportation industry;
- Knowledge of the role and responsibilities of a board member, including fundamental accountabilities to the Government of Canada as shareholder;
- Knowledge of the public policy environment facing a Crown corporation, and a general understanding of the legislative environment in which it operates, including the Financial Administration Act;
- Knowledge of human and financial resources management, strategic corporate planning, monitoring, and evaluation of corporate performance;
- Knowledge of corporate governance including good governance principles and best practices;
- Knowledge in one or more of the following areas: law, labour relations, public policy, media or communications, pension plan administration or governance, pension plan investment, information technology, security and intelligence, client services, and marketing;
- Financial literacy;
- Ability to identify, analyse and define priorities and strategies;
- Ability to anticipate emerging issues;
- Ability to develop and maintain effective working relationships with other board members and the board’s partners and stakeholders; and
- Superior communications skills, both oral and written, and the ability to manage communications with a variety of stakeholders.
Proficiency in both official languages would be preferred.
If you move on to the next stage of the selection process, we will contact your references to verify how you have demonstrated the Experience requirements and the following Personal Attributes in your current and recently held positions:
- Sound judgment
- High ethical standards and integrity
- Superior interpersonal skills
- Tact and diplomacy
- Strategic thinker
Eligibility Factors and Conditions of Employment
In your application, it will be important that you confirm you meet the following requirements:
- No person may be appointed or continue as a director of the Authority who:
- is not a Canadian citizen or a permanent resident under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act;
- is a member of the Senate or House of Commons or a member of a legislature;
- is employed on a full-time basis in the public service of Canada or of a province; or
- is a mayor, councilor, officer or employee of a municipality.
- No officer or employee of a Crown corporation or any of its affiliates, other than the chief executive officer, shall be a director of the Canadian Air Transport Security Authority (statutory).
- The average annual time commitment for Directors is 25 days. The Board and committees meet at least four times per year, normally in the National Capital Region. The Board also meets by teleconference several times per year, as required. Directors may be called upon to sit on one or more committees.
If you are appointed to one of these positions:
You must comply with the Ethical and Political Activity Guidelines for Public Office Holders throughout your appointment, as a term and condition of employment. The guidelines are available on the Governor in Council Appointments website, under Forms and reference material.
You will be subject to the Conflict of Interest Act. For more information, please visit the Office of the Conflict of Interest and Ethics Commissioner's website.
A link to this notice will be placed in the Canada Gazette to assist the Governor in Council in identifying qualified candidates for these positions. It is not, however, intended to be the sole means of recruitment.
A roster of qualified candidates may be established and may be used for similar opportunities.Apply Online
- Date modified: