Opportunities - Selection Processes
Directors, Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation,
We know that our country is stronger — and our government more effective — when decision-makers reflect Canada's diversity. Moving forward, the Government of Canada will use an appointment process that is transparent and merit-based, strives for gender parity, and ensures that Indigenous Canadians and minority groups are properly represented in positions of leadership. We will continue to search for Canadians who reflect the values that we all embrace: inclusion, honesty, fiscal prudence, and generosity of spirit. Together, we will build a government as diverse as Canada.
The overarching goal of the Minister of Families, Children and Social Development is to increase Canadians' economic and social security.
The Government of Canada is currently seeking applications from diverse and talented Canadians from across the country who are interested in the following positions:
Directors (part-time positions)
Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation
Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation is a Crown corporation which reports to the Parliament of Canada through the Minister of Families, Children and Social Development. As Canada's authority on housing, we contribute to the stability of the housing market and financial system, provide support for Canadians in housing need, and offer objective housing research and advice to Canadian governments, consumers and the housing industry. Prudent risk management, strong corporate governance and transparency are cornerstones of our operations.
The Board of Directors is responsible for managing the affairs of the Corporation and the conduct of its business in accordance with the Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation Act, the Financial Administration Act, and the National Housing Act. Pursuant to the Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation Act, the stewardship of the Corporation is the responsibility of the Board of Directors, which is comprised of the Chairperson, the President and Chief Executive Officer; the Deputy Minister of the Minister for CMHC; the Deputy Minister of Finance; and eight other directors.
Further details about the organization and its activities can be found on Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation's website.
Candidates must apply online by 11:59 p.m. Eastern Time on April 11, 2017, via the Governor in Council Appointments website. Your cover letter should be addressed to the Assistant Secretary to the Cabinet (Senior Personnel), Privy Council Office, and should be sent only through the online application.
Per Diem: $470 - $555
Annual Retainer: $6,100 - $7,200
Official Languages and Diversity
The Government of Canada will consider bilingual proficiency and diversity in assessing candidates for these positions. You are therefore encouraged to include in your online profile your ability to speak and understand your second official language. Preference may be given to candidates who are members of one or more of the following groups: women, Indigenous Canadians, persons with disabilities, and members of visible minorities.
To be considered for one of these positions, please provide examples from your career that clearly demonstrate how you meet the following requirements in your application:
Education and Experience
- A degree from a recognized university in a relevant field of study (a degree in commerce, accounting, law or economics, or a professional accounting designation would be considered assets), or an acceptable combination of equivalent education, job-related training and experience; and
- Business acumen and financial knowledge and experience.
In addition, the available positions require experience in at least one of the following areas (lettered), as well as one or more of the criteria (numbered) within the area(s). Please specify which area(s) and criteria you meet in describing your qualifications.
- Risk Management
- experience in identifying the principal risks of a large financial organization, and in establishing appropriate systems to manage these risks; and/or
- experience at a senior level in the governance of a complex organization, including risk management, management control frameworks and financial internal controls.
- leadership experience in the housing sector; and/or
- senior executive experience in a major financial institution; and/or
- public policy experience in a senior role.
- Social/Affordable Housing
- experience in developing, designing and/or administering social/affordable housing programs; and/or
- experience in the design, management and/or operation of social/affordable housing projects.
- Housing Research and Housing Policy
- experience in designing and/or developing policies, programs and strategies to address housing needs; and/or
- experience in designing and/or developing policies, programs and strategies related to housing finance.
- Social and Applied Sciences
- experience in the social sciences (i.e. sociology, social work, economics, and political science); and/or
- experience in the applied sciences (i.e. urban planning, architecture, engineering, and construction).
- Information and Technology
- experience as a leader of a large technology transformation program; and/or
- experience in determining information technology strategies in order to reach corporate objectives, application development and application management and software.
If you are selected for an interview, the following criteria will be assessed:
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Knowledge of the legislative framework, mandate and activities of CMHC as well as knowledge of the roles and responsibilities of the Board of an organization of similar size and complexity to CMHC;
- Knowledge of sound governance principles and current best practices in corporate governance including evaluation of executive performance;
- Ability to contribute to debate and discussions among Board members as well as to effectively understand and monitor corporate performance;
- Ability to think at a strategic level; and
- Superior communication skills, both written and oral, and the ability to manage communications with a variety of stakeholders.
Proficiency in both official languages would be preferred.
If you move on to the next stage of the selection process, we will contact your references to verify how you have demonstrated the Experience requirements and the following Personal Attributes in your current and recently held positions:
- High ethical standards
- Sound judgment
- Strong interpersonal skills
Eligibility Factors and Conditions of Employment
In your application, it will be important that you confirm you meet the following requirements:
- No person shall be appointed or continue as a director from outside the federal public service if that person (statutory):
- is a director, officer or employee of a lending institution;
- is not a Canadian citizen or otherwise a British subject ordinarily resident in Canada; or
- is employed in any capacity in the federal public administration or the public service of a province or holds any office or position for which a salary is payable out of public moneys, but nothing in this paragraph prohibits such a person from holding office while performing temporary services for the Government of Canada or of a province.
- A person appointed as a director from outside the federal public administration who is a shareholder of a lending institution shall divest themselves of ownership of their shares of the lending institution within three months after the date of their appointment and afterwards shall not during their term of office have an interest or right either directly or indirectly as a shareholder in a lending institution (statutory).
- You must be prepared to travel in Canada to meetings of the Board of Directors which normally meets five to six times a year.
If you are appointed to one of these positions:
You must comply with the Ethical and Political Activity Guidelines for Public Office Holders throughout your appointment, as a term and condition of employment. The guidelines are available on the Governor in Council Appointments Web site, under Forms and Reference Material.
You will be subject to the Conflict of Interest Act. For more information, please visit the Office of the Conflict of Interest and Ethics Commissioner's website.
A link to this notice will be placed in the Canada Gazette to assist the Governor in Council in identifying qualified candidates for these positions. It is not, however, intended to be the sole means of recruitment.
A roster of qualified candidates may be established and may be used for similar opportunities.Apply Online
- Date modified: