Opportunities - Selection Processes
Directors, Windsor-Detroit Bridge Authority,
We know that our country is stronger — and our government more effective — when decision-makers reflect Canada’s diversity. The Government of Canada will use an appointment process that is transparent and merit-based, strives for gender parity, and ensures that Indigenous peoples and minority groups are properly represented in positions of leadership. We will continue to search for Canadians who reflect the values that we all embrace: inclusion, honesty, fiscal prudence, and generosity of spirit. Together, we will build a government as diverse as Canada.
The overarching goal of the Minister of Infrastructure and Communities is to begin to rebuild Canada for the 21st Century.
The Government of Canada is currently seeking applications from diverse and talented Canadians from across the country who are interested in the following positions:
Directors (part-time positions)
Windsor-Detroit Bridge Authority
The Windsor-Detroit Bridge Authority, a parent Crown corporation, was established in October 2012. Its mandate is to enable construction and operation of a new international crossing (now named the Gordie Howe International Bridge) between Windsor, Ontario and Detroit, Michigan. The project includes four components: a six-lane high level bridge; a Canadian port of entry with border inspection and toll facilities; a United States of America port of entry with border inspection; and an interchange with Interstate 75. The Canada-Michigan Crossing Agreement concluded in June 2012 provides a framework for Canada to establish the Windsor-Detroit Bridge Authority as the Crossing Authority to design, construct, finance, operate and maintain the new bridge under a public-private partnership.
Board Directors (Directors) are collectively responsible for overseeing the Corporation’s activities and providing strategic policy direction for the Windsor-Detroit Bridge Authority. The Board reports to Parliament through the Minister of Infrastructure and Communities.
Further details about the organization and its activities can be found on the Windsor-Detroit Bridge Authority's website.
Candidates must apply online by 11:59 p.m. Eastern Time on August 30, 2017, via the Governor in Council Appointments website. Your cover letter should be addressed to the Deputy Director of Selection Processes, Senior Personnel Secretariat, Privy Council Office, and should be sent only through the online application. If you applied between June 22 and August 3, 2017, you do not need to re-apply to be considered for one of these positions.
Per Diem: $200 - $300
Annual Retainer: $3,200 - $3,800
Official Languages and Diversity
The Government of Canada will consider bilingual proficiency and diversity in assessing candidates for these positions. You are therefore encouraged to include in your online profile your ability to speak and understand your second official language. Preference may be given to candidates who are members of one or more of the following groups: women, Indigenous peoples, persons with disabilities, and members of visible minorities.
To be considered for one of these positions, please provide examples from your career that clearly demonstrate how you meet the following requirements in your application:
Education and Experience
- A degree from a recognized university with acceptable specialization and appropriate professional designation in business administration, public administration, commerce, finance, economics, civil, mechanical or electrical engineering, law (Canadian or Michigan), some other specialty relevant to the position, or an acceptable combination of education, training and/or experience;
- Experience serving as a member of a board of directors for a public or private sector organization or as a senior executive answerable to stakeholders in the public or private sector;
- Experience in one or more of the following:
- Experience in financial management and accounting;
- Experience in identifying the principal risks of a commercial organization and in establishing appropriate systems to manage these risks;
- Experience at a senior level in the governance of complex organizations and in risk management, management control frameworks and financial internal controls;
- Experience in public affairs such as public relations, communications, government relations, policy, and stakeholder engagement;
- Experience in procurement and/or major contract administration and/or P3 project management;
- Experience in management of, or familiarity with, large scale construction projects with significant heavy civil, mechanical and electrical components;
- Experience in transportation policy, planning logistics and/or operations of a major facility or infrastructure asset;
- Experience providing strategic guidance in the establishment of Human Resources strategies in support of the attainment of corporate objectives;
- Experience in human resource functions, such as: workforce planning, succession planning, recruiting, staffing, and compensation policies; and
- Experience conducting business in the United States of America would be considered an asset.
If you are selected for an interview, the following criteria will be assessed:
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Knowledge of the Windsor-Detroit Bridge Authority’s mandate, legislative framework and activities;
- Knowledge of the relevant industry/sector and functional subject matter area;
- Knowledge of the public policy environment facing a Crown corporation, and a general understanding of the legislative environment in which it operates, including the Financial Administration Act;
- Knowledge of one or more of the following areas: accounting; finance; construction engineering; Canadian and/or Michigan law; marketing; communications; public relations; infrastructure procurement and project management; safety and security management; cybersecurity;
- Ability to think strategically and communicate effectively;
- Strong critical thinking, decision making and problem solving skills;
- Strong inter-personal skills and ability to work in a team; and
- Ability to establish effective working relationships with different levels of government and the Windsor-Detroit Bridge Authority’s partners and stakeholders.
Proficiency in both official languages would be preferred.
If you move on to the next stage of the selection process, we will contact your references to verify how you have demonstrated the Experience requirements and the following Personal Attributes in your current and recently held positions:
- Informed judgement
- Integrity and accountability
- Impact and influence
- Highly motivated and committed to excellence
Eligibility Factors and Conditions of Employment
In your application, it will be important that you confirm you meet the following requirements:
- Individuals having any familial and/or business relationship that is in any way associated with the P3 procurement process currently underway are disqualified from appointment to the Board and will not be considered.
- The successful candidate must be available for Board meetings approximately 12 days per year.
- No officer or employee of a Crown corporation or any of its affiliates, other than the chief executive officer of a parent Crown corporation, shall be a director of the parent Crown corporation (statutory).
If you are appointed to one of these positions:
You must comply with the Ethical and Political Activity Guidelines for Public Office Holders throughout your appointment, as a term and condition of employment. The guidelines are available on the Governor in Council Appointments website, under Forms and reference material.
You will be subject to the Conflict of Interest Act. For more information, please visit the Office of the Conflict of Interest and Ethics Commissioner's website.
A link to this notice will be placed in the Canada Gazette to assist the Governor in Council in identifying qualified candidates for these positions. It is not, however, intended to be the sole means of recruitment.
A roster of qualified candidates may be established and may be used for similar opportunities.Apply Online
- Date modified: