Organization Profile - Laurentian Pilotage Authority
Laurentian Pilotage Authority
Minister of Transport
The Authority consists of:
- a Chairperson appointed by GIC after consultation with members and the users of its services, to hold office during pleasure for the term that the GIC considers appropriate. The Chairperson may be appointed to serve full-time or part-time; and
- not more than six other members appointed by the Minister, with the approval of the GIC, to hold office during pleasure, for a term not to exceed four years; not more than half the directors' terms may expire in any one year; eligible for reappointment in the same or another capacity. If a member is not appointed to take office on the expiration of the term of an incumbent member, other than an officer-director, the incumbent member continues in office until a successor is appointed.
One member may be appointed by the GIC as Vice-Chairperson, if deemed to be appropriate. The Vice-Chairperson may be appointed to serve either full-time or part-time.
If a member of any Authority is unable at any time to perform the duties of office of the member by reason of absence or incapacity, the GIC may, on such terms and conditions as the GIC may prescribe, appoint a temporary substitute member.
Where the Chairperson serves full-time, the Chairperson has the direction and control of the business of the Authority and may exercise such powers as may be conferred on the Chairperson by by-law of the Authority.
Where the Chairperson serves part-time, the Board appoints a Chief Executive Officer, who has the direction and control of the business of the Authority and who may exercise such powers as may be conferred on the Chief Executive Officer by by-law of the Authority.
In the event of the absence or incapacity of the Chairperson, or if the office of Chairperson is vacant, the Vice-Chairperson, if any, shall act as Chairperson.
The Pilotage Act specifies that the Chairman is appointed by the Governor in Council on the recommendation of the Minister and after consultation with members of the Authority and with the users of its services.
The Financial Administration Act requires that before an officer-director of a parent Crown corporation is appointed, the Minister shall consult the Board of Directors of the Corporation with respect to the appointment.
- Fixed by GiC:recommended per diem ($220 - $260)
- Annual ($5,700 - $6,700)
Vice-Chairperson and Member
- Fixed by GiC: Position;per diem ($220 - $260)
- Position; annual ($2,900 - $3,400)
- Plus reasonable travel expenses. Expenses fixed by By-Law.
|Vice-Chairperson and Member|
|Spivack, Julius B.|
|Di Tomaso, Francesco (Frank)|
|Morin, Gilles M.-J.|
- Date modified: